Autumn is in full swing. Wet, rainy days, cold breeze, dark skies. Time for candles, warm drinks and comfy blankets! The weather is turning and in the back of our minds we hear Nat King Cole’s baritone singing “chestnuts roasting on an open fire”. Love it!
For us, sweater weather days are those cold, brisk rainy days wheren you want to curl up on the couch with some comfort food, a nice blanket and preferbly a bonfire or a fireplace nearby. To inspire you a bit with some nice ideas we have written down some of our favourite sweater weather activities.
Ofcourse the use of warm sweaters, pullovers, or blankets can’t be left out! This is an absolute must for us! A warm, soft fleece blanket of a nice warm sweater. Something you can curl up in on the couch. Various stores and garden centers already have them for sale. Fun colours and patterns, warm fabrics. It all fits the bill. Do you guys have a favourite?
By now you all should know we are big fans of Yankee Candle and Woodwick. Lovely scent candles and tealights that brighten up your home. If you prefer something more eco-friendly, check out the soy wax candles line from My Flame for example. Available at Bol.com amongst others.
At home we always have 1 golden rule. Food has to be delicious. No matter someone’s diet, food always has to be good. So when the weather turns brisk, there are several comfort foods that instantly bring some warmth along. Surinam Sauerkraut for example, Kale stew with smoked sausage and gravy, potato stew, Shephard’s pie, Goulash or a good soup. There is a whole list we can name. What are some of your favourite meals for Sweater Weather days?
A good meal isn’t complete without a nice drink. Number 1 for favourite sweater weather days is ofcourse Hot Chocolate and whip cream! Nothing gets more Christmassy than that. You can always spice up the drink by adding a few marshmellows, peppermint or a nice liqueur. A good cup of coffee with hazelnut or pumpkin spice or a hot cup of tea. All good warm options for brisk days. Do you have some free time and you want something completely different? Try a nice Gluhwein or a hot Toddy! Yum!!
Nothing says a rainy day like camping on the couch with a good movie. A drink in on hand and recline back to enjoy the movie. Here is our Top Ten of favourite Sweater Weather movies:
- The Associate (1996): A nice Christmassy comedy about an ambitious woman who creates a fictional partner to find her breakthrough on Wall Street.
- Little Women (1994): Based on the famous book by Louisa May Alcott. A movie about the life of 4 sisters during the American civil war. A beautiful classic that always works well. The 1994 version is still our favourite.
- The Bodyguard (1992): Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner. What more do you want? A former Secret Service agent takes on the job of bodyguard to an R&B singer, whose lifestyle is most unlike a President’s.
- The Gremlins (1984): This classic is shown in Yardéna’s classes each year. Little creatures that turn into little monsters once they eat to much or are in contact with water and end up terrorizing a small town. Fun movie to watch with the whole family.
- Last Holiday (2006): starring Queen Latifah. That says enough. Upon learning of a terminal illness, a shy woman decides to sell all her possessions and live it up at a posh Central European hotel.
- The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe (2005): Based on the famous novels by C.S. Lewis. It follows the 4 Pevensie children who end up in the magical land of Narnia.
- The Day After Tomorrow (2004): a good disaster movie musn’t be forgotten. Especially for those who enjoy action movies a bit more this will proof to be a nice watch.
- While You Were Sleeping (1995): starring Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman. A hopelessly romantic Chicago Transit Authority token collector is mistaken for the fiancée of a coma patient.
- Eight Below (2006): Brutal cold forces two Antarctic explorers to leave their team of sled dogs behind as they fend for their survival.
- Anything Disney.
We can make an endless list of movies considering we are both movie lovers. If you want any tips, just send us a message.
There is more to do than just watch movies. A fun game night with family or friends goes a long way. Games such as Settlers, Clue, or Trivia but also more advanced games like Winspan, 7 Wonders or Game of Thrones. Find something you and your company enjoy.
Another option is a fun puzzle. Personally we are fond of the 1000 pieces Thomas Kinkade puzzles. Idyllic cottages or landscapes. Wonderful! You do need a bit of patience for this though.
Grab a good book for once. This is the perfect weather to crawl on the couch with that one book that’s been staring at you for a while. If you want some tips for a good wintry read, let us know!
Last but not least, Sweater Weather is a good time to start a fun bakingproject. Whether you are baking cookies or a whole pie, choose a nice recipe and get that dough started. Divine Cinnamon rolls for example. Yumm!!
We hope we’ve inspired you with some beautiful ideas. We are definitely lloking forward to these brisk rainy days. What are some of your own rituals during these days? Let us know in the comments below or on our social media.
The Christmas Girls